A Word on PoB
I use PoB Community Fork by LocalIdentity. If you’re getting an error trying to import my PoBs, you may not be using the latest version.
Learn more about it and grab the files here: PoE Community Fork.
End Game PoB & Passive Skill Tree
End-game Caustic Arrow as CI/ES utilizes a Cluster Jewel set up. This may, understandably, take some time and patience to acquire and/or craft. I do not recommend going for the Cluster Jewels until you are CI/ES to save having to re-roll Cluster Jewels, since one of the attributes we stack is ES-specific. For the Life-based tree, make sure you check in the Leveling/Life-Based Section blow the main skill gems.
This is the PoB for the end-game CI/ES version of our build.
Caustic Arrow damage is calculated assuming max Wither stacks, Frenzy Charges, and Despair uptime on the target. The max stacks for Wither is 15 stacks. Note, sometimes you may not have all 15 Wither stacks, as the totems can get picked off by bosses and other mobs. Don’t worry! We couple Wither with Multiple Totem and Faster Casting supports to quickly re-ramp the stacks.
To get a quick cursory glance at the passive three, here’s a link for the part of the end-game build. Please note that PoE Planner does not support the use of Large Cluster Jewel, Medium Cluster Jewel, and Small Cluster Jewel. So missing from this planner are the Cluster Setups outlined in the gearing section. Check out the screenshot below to get a better idea of these setups.
End Game Gem Links
6-Link Caustic Arrow
Make sure these are in your Bow to take advantage of the leveling scaling on well-crafted bows, as they only apply to socketed gems. When upgrading bows, some retain their older bows for a second 6L in lieu of manually swapping gems for trash/single target and just weapon swap in order to adapt to damage needs.
- Caustic Arrow
- Awakened Vicious Projectiles Support
- Awakened Swift Affliction Support
- Damage on Full Life Support
- Empower Support
- Concentrated Effect Support (Single Target) / Awakened Arrow Nova Support (Quick Clear)
Here we choose to use 2 × 2-links, one for CWDT, one for movement.
- Cast when Damage Taken Support
- Steelskin (if you’ve got the Strength for a level 20) / Immortal Call (if you do not have enough Strength, level it as high as you can, as some reduction is better than nothing)
CWDT can be dropped for Steelskin/ Immortal Call on Left Click if you prefer a non-triggered behavior for Guard skills. For Steelskin, its level 20 or bust, otherwise use Immortal Call as high as you can level it. You also can add in something else like Withering Step if you prefer.
- Enlighten Support (must be Level 4)
- Vaal Discipline (for the aura and on-soul use)
- Flesh and Stone
For the body armor, it does not need to be a 6-link, just a minimum of 5-link and you can incorporate an extra curse with Awakened Hextouch Support, or add in some utility with Culling Strike Support as a 6-link if you’d prefer.
- Hextouch Support
- Greater Multiple Projectiles Support
- Enfeeble and/or Temporal Chains depending on a +2 or +3 curse limit.
- Culling Strike Support (optional, for utility)
Leveling Information, Trees, and Life-Based End-Game
Here’s a quick album of the level trees for those who aren’t too sure to load up Path of Building yet.
29 points used
57 points used
80 points used
98 points used (Level 75)
Leveling Path of Building
Leveling CA is pretty laid back and easy! Keep an eye out for +1 Socketed Bow Skill Gem bows, these are powerful for leveling! Silverbranch is a great example of this, but make sure you pay attention to the item level, as item level determines how many sockets an item can have.
Once you get to maps, don’t neglect your Syndicate. You’ll want to unveil and learn the “+40% Chaos Damage Over Time Multiplier” craft for your bow ASAP. Likewise, you can rush Catarina and attempt to unveil the “+2 Levels to Socketed Support Gems” craft as well. Don’t forget to use a Kalandra's Craft prophecy before having Jun dispatch her, that way you get multiple copies of the Veiled items she drops. Lastly, use your Silver Coins. You’ll want to complete the Pale Court Prophecy chains to unlock “Can have Multiple Crafted Modifiers” and additionally the Deadly Rivalry prophecy chain for Kintsugi.
Leveling Gems and Links
Aside from Vicious Projectiles Support, which only comes from Ranger in a leaguestart situation, the Shadow reasonably acquires all of his gems along the way. You’ll have to do Library or pre-purchase Vicious Projectiles otherwise.
Main Link Progression
- Caustic Arrow – Acquired at level 2. It’s available at the vendor after completing Enemy at the Gate.
- Pierce Support – Acquired at Level 3-4. It’s a quest reward from Mercy Mission.
- Void Manipulation Support – Acquired at Level 8. It’s a quest reward for The Caged Brute.
- Concentrated Effect Support – Acquired at level 18. It’s available at the vendor after completing The Root of the Problem. Stick in an offhand weapon to level until you get a 6L. This will be used later for bossing.
- Vicious Projectiles Support – Minimum level 18. It’s available at the vendor after completing a Fixture of Fate (Library) or Fallen from Grace (Lily A6).
- Swift Affliction Support – Minimum level 31. It’s available at the vendor after completing a Fixture of Fate (Library) or Fallen from Grace (Lily A6).
- Efficacy Support – Minimum level 31. It’s available at the vendor after completing a Fixture of Fate (Library) or Fallen from Grace (Lily A6). You use this until you level Empower Support to level 2, where it outpreforms a Level 20 Efficacy.
- Empower Support – Minimum level 38. This is a drop-only gem that doesn’t have any effect at level one and must be leveled to 2 before swapping out your Efficacy.
- Arrow Nova Support – Acquired at level 8. It’s available at the vendor after completing The Caged Brute. Use this for clearing as needed, especially if you’re using TR/Puncture as single target during the story.
Other Gem Progression
- Steelskin – Acquired at level 4. It’s available at the vendor after completing Breaking Some Eggs. You can put this in an offhand for later or self-cast it in defensive situations.
- Dash – Acquired at Level 4. It’s a quest reward for Breaking Some Eggs.
- Wither – Acquired at level 8. It’s available at the vendor after completing The Caged Brute.
- Flame Dash – Acquired at level 10. It’s available at the vendor after completing The Caged Brute. Use Dash or Flame Dash, whichever you prefer.
- Clarity – Acquired at level 10. It’s available at the vendor after completing The Caged Brute. Leave it low level for Mana regen as needed and reserve allows.
- Frenzy – Acquired at level 16. It’s a quest reward for Intruders in Black. Can use it or level it in offhand. Its only purpose is creating and generating frenzy charges, not dealing damage.
- Summon Skitterbots – Acquired at level 16. It’s available at the vendor after completing The Root of the Problem.
- Faster Casting Support – Acquired at level 18. It’s available as a quest reward for completing Sharp and Cruel. Put in an offhand to level, and link later to your Wither Totem Setup.
- Malevolence – Acquired at level 24. It’s a quest reward for Lost in Love.
- Despair- Acquired at level 24. It’s available at the vendor after completing Lost in Love.
- Second Wind Support – Minimum level 31. It’s available at the vendor after completing a Fixture of Fate (Library) or Fallen from Grace (Lily A6). Link to your movement skill.
- Cast when Damage Taken Support – Link to Steelskin – Acquired at level 38. It’s available at the vendor after completing The Eternal Nightmare.
- Hextouch Support – Link to Frenzy, Despair and GMP – Acquired at level 38. It’s available at the vendor after completing The Eternal Nightmare.
- Greater Multiple Projectiles Support – Link to Frenzy, Despair, and Hextouch – Acquired at level 38. It’s available at the vendor after completing The Eternal Nightmare.
- Spell Totem Support – Link to Wither. Minimum level 8. It’s available at the vendor after completing a Fixture of Fate (Library) or Fallen from Grace (Lily A6).
- Multiple Totems Support – Link to Wither, Spell Totem Support and Faster Casting. Acquired at level 38. It’s available at the vendor after completing The Eternal Nightmare.
Life-Based Tree and Path of Building and How to Respec Later
Above is how your tree should roughly look up to level 95 as you stay life-based until you are ready to go CI/ES. This tree is extremely generous in the health department as it is scaled for HCSSF, reaching 214% as a Trickster. If playing softcore, you can decide to strip away as much of the health away as you want for things like damage nodes, jewel sockets, or minor cluster setups. In this PoB I used gear I had, not even perfect itemization as a proof of concept with real gear versus simulated gear, all made with the crafting methods I outline in detail in the gearing section. There’s a few additional notes in the PoB as well.
To get from the Life-Based Version to the CI/ES Version, you can also use this handy PoB to follow along the step-by-step stages of using Regret Orbs to redistribute your passive points efficiently. Note: This does not assume Cluster Setups. You’ll want to regret to the tree listed at the top of the page if you have your full cluster setup.