In my opinion the strongest summoner build in the game. It has great clearing with absolutely insane single target damage output. This build guide will always be updated to be using the best spectres in the game for optimal performance. Due to how straight forward the design is with the use of 0 cluster jewels still beating all end-game content I would argue for this to be one of the smoothest league starter summoner builds available as well!
Spectres in general can be a bit tricky. One should not forget that minion builds are the most complex genre of builds in Path of Exile. This guide will walk you through everything you need to know and then some.
Below you can see the build in action from my YouTube Guide. Do note that the video might be outdated in terms of information, and you should always look at this guide to make sure you have the updated version. In this case the video is showing Redemption Sentries which is not the main focus of the build anymore as we are using Syndicate Operatives instead.
In this section I will outline the pros, cons, & the general playstyle. This will allow you to determine if the build is for you or not!
+ League Starter – The only important unique is extremely cheap and readily available on day 1 in a new league. The unique is Triad Grip.
+ Bosser – Minion builds are in a current state of bliss where bosses simply just melt with the damage output available.
+ A Lot Of Variety Options – The build is showing the play style that I personally prefer. You can always opt out of Necromantic Aegis, change cursing or even utility skills to better fit your personal play style when you’re more experienced with the build and/or game.
+ Insanely High Roof For High Budget Options – Upgrading this build is very easy, straight forward and offers a lot of options ranging from lower budget investment to make the build better all the way to mirror tier gear if you so wish and can afford.
– Minion Build – Since your minions are doing the heavy lifting, defensive layers such as leeching are not possible in this build; this means you don’t want to be having any kissing sessions with packs of enemies or bosses.
– Socket Starved – To be optimal with this build you’re going to be extremely socket starved and will therefor be using 1x Unset Ring
– Act Leveling – Using Spectres to level with during the campaign acts requires twink gear to function. This means we will be using other methods to level with til level 65-70.
Before you get yourself a “Trigger Socketed Spell When You Use A Skill” bench crafted weapon you’re going to be self-casting Desecrate & Offering skill on top of your Elemental Equilibrium abilities. This can feel somewhat clunky til you get such a weapon, once you do, you will pretty much only be casting your EE ability & Convocation when required making the build fly through maps.
Normally you don’t want to face-tank bosses but instead let your minions do the tanking as they melt super fast.
DAMAGE SCALING AND DEFENSIVE LAYERS
Depending on how you wish to play this build you can be very defensive or offensive based of your choices. Specifically this comes down to 2 different choices:
- Offering Choice – Flesh Offering increases your clear speed as well as damage output significantly whilst Bone Offering allows you to very easily reach the attack & spell block cap if you include Mystic Bulwark node on the tree as well as Glancing Blows. I personally prefer the Flesh Offering strategy myself here.
- NA or na? – Necromantic Aegis makes so all modifiers from your shield is applied to all your minions instead of you. This is equivalent to ~35-45% of your spectres damage with the lowest budget option shield. Due to this fact I personally prefer to use the NA node. However, if you decide not to use it, you can invest those nodes on the tree to more Life or block nodes such as Sanctuary and very easily reach block caps. I feel that you lose too much damage to gain block cap which can be achieved through other means. A note to add here is that I use NA in Hardcore leagues with this build.
Offensively this build is entirely focusing on your spectres, so all other additions to the build is designed to increase their efficiency. Optimally you would want to get a Shaper/Elder helmet to move away from a 6-Link chest and instead use a 7, 8 or hell even a 9-Link set-up in your helmet for them. This is obviously for higher budget versions!
PoB AND PASSIVE SKILL TREE
The PoB community fork created by Localidentity is the only version being kept up to date, so make sure you have the correct version: PoB Community Fork.
For a tankier medium budget version still being life based you can check this one out: https://pastebin.com/f2EtA8Vv
There are 2 high budget versions for ultra min-maxing, my favorite one being: https://pastebin.com/DyNvWVkJ and for the mega glass-cannon this is the way to go: https://pastebin.com/vpwMuwZe
If you’re looking for the god-like mirror tier version of this build we will be taking 12-passive cluster jewels: https://pastebin.com/XevPfCkd
You can find more information on our dedicated page.
A lot of the end-game gear can easily be crafted, to learn how to craft as well as learn how to craft specific items check out my crafting guides here.
You can read more details about our gearing recommendations on the dedicated page, but for now you can see a summarized version below.
|Item Slot||Item Name||Rarity|
|Head||Life then res/attributes (High budget wants Shaper/Elder with Socketed gems are supported by: Minion dmg, Hypothermia as well as +# level of socketed minion gems modifiers)||Rare|
|Amulet||Life then Res/Attributes as needed||Rare|
|Chest||Life then Res/Attributes as needed (High budget can get a Delve dropped chest with “+1 to maximum spectres”||Rare|
|Boots||Bones of Ullr Life then Res/Attributes as needed||Unique/Rare|
|Rings||Life then Res/Attributes as needed||Rare|
|Weapon||Trigger Weapon with Minion DMG and/or + level of all spell and/or minion gems||Rare|
|Shield||Victario's Charity high budget wants a Rare shield with +2 to minimum Power AND Frenzy charges||Unique/Rare|
ASCENDANCY, BANDIT & PANTHEON RECOMMENDATIONS
You can read about the recommended Ascendancy, Bandit choice, and Pantheon Power recommendations for this build on our dedicated page.
The current meta of leveling through the Campaign Acts 1-10 is to simply never use minions. However, this guide is not designed to guide you to finish Kitava in 2 hours, It is a build guide. With that said the following suggestions for leveling makes sure you don’t have to use any Orb of Regret to change your build when you are ready to enable the spectres.
BEFORE YOU ENABLE MINIONS
Before you are able to utilize minions for your leveling experience you will need to make sure they function for actual clearing this means giving them tools to use for hitting multiple targets. This means you are able to level with minions as early as level 8 as that’s the restriction before you can get Melee Splash Support. The skills listed below are the ones I prefer to use til I hit level 8:
- Stormblast Mine for single target
- Freezing Pulse for clearing
- Frost Bomb for clearing when you get it instead of the Freezing Pulse
Once you reach level 8 you are able to purchase Melee Splash Support which cost 1 t Orb of Transmutation. This can then be combined with either Summon Skeletons or Summon Raging Spirit, whichever you prefer. The links are slightly different depending on which one you decide to go for. Starting with the Skeleton approach the links should look like this:
If you go for the Raging Spirits (SRS) the links are similar, however, as soon as you get to Act 4-5 level 38 you will be able to get Unleash Support which I prefer or Spell Echo Support which makes this type of leveling very smooth.
Do keep in mind that if you feel like you’re lacking single target damage vs any boss during the acts, you can always change your Melee Splash a red damage support gem such as Added Fire Damage Support or Melee Physical Damage Support. Once you get 4-Link I would go for the melee physical and later you can change the Splash for Multistrike Support instead for single target.
Aura decision comes in Act 3 which is when we enable the Hatred for optimal damage output.
For more general leveling advice, we recommend the following guides.
- Our step-by-step leveling walkthrough, which allows even more experienced players to save time and speed through the leveling process.
- Our guide to Unique Items for leveling, which helps you gear up your characters for the leveling process.
- Our beginner leveling guide, which answers many of the questions new players might have and will set you on the right path.
To guarantee that my guides are tools you can utilize to enhance your experience in Path of Exile, all you need to do is post your question in the comments and I will personally attend to them as soon as possible.
As much as I love making build guides, it is very crucial in a game like Path of Exile that you play the game the way you enjoy playing it. With that said, if you’ve made any tweaks to the build compared to what I’m showing in this guide I would love if you’d posted it in the comments! It’s an effective way to show other approaches and it helps me grow as a build guide creator!
I hope you found the build guide useful and I wish you all many Exalted Orb drops!